There's always a point at the end of Mardi Gras where I feel totally deflated and depressed. At that very moment I have the most intense understanding of the transient quality of our lives through the passage of time and the entropy of all beautiful things. As Rex and Comus meet I'm always sad to realize that another Carnival has passed, and another year of my life.
This year those feelings were more intense than ever because of the unique circumstances of this Carnival. The combination of this being the first post-K Mardi Gras and having most of my closest friends in town was a powerful force. It turned what would have been a normally joyous celebration into a white hot streak of joy and happiness.
I'm so blessed to have the friends that I do. You all give me so much to me. This holiday weekend was one of the best experiences of my life. My life is rich because of you.
Here were some of my favorite experiences this Carnival:
- The fireworks at Cass & Heather's wedding
- Sitting in Popeye's, eating a three piece as I heard the MAX band for the first time
- Our Krewe du Vieux party
- Drinking tall boys and dancing at Muses
- Seeing all of the out-of-towners together for the first time at Cass & Heather's party
- Having breakfast with friends not once, but two times
- Drinking cheap Daiquiris and getting to see our friends' faces as the parade rolled by
- Seeing the size of the St. Anthony crowd when I walked out of Chris and Rose's
- Giving my captain's proclamation
- Having Bone Gang members shout out to us as we passed them
- OWNING every street that we marched down
- Seeing Cassady and Heather jump over the threshold on the steps of St. Louis Cathedral
- Hearing the "Ramblers rule the streets..." chant for the first time
- Hanging out on the sidewalk in front of our house, passing a good time for hours
- All of the quality face to face time I had with friends I don't get to see enough